Upaya Yoga is entirely a creation of Prem Krishna Ananda. It is born from his own experience and personal journey into yoga. Krishna approached yoga for the first time in his early twenties and since then he never left its path. The development of a strong self-practice brought him to share with others his accomplishments and discovery. This led to many years of teaching experience in India and in Europe.
The professional success and personal gratification gathered along those years eventually merged into the idea of creating a school completely based on Krishna’s method and vision. The search for an ideal location ended in Arambol (Goa) where the centre is currently based.
Several Reasons To Choose Upaya Yoga
Who We Are
- Upaya Yoga is a family… A special place to learn and share in a safe environment and serene atmosphere. People from all over the world join us every year and in such cultural melting- pot you will meet inspiring people and you will make new friends.
- Our teachers are reliable and proficient in all areas of yoga. We appreciate that the Course might move you physically and emotionally, bringing some up and down. For this reason, our team will be available 24 hours for any sort of support and assistance. We will accompany you delicately through the extraordinary process of self-discovery.
- The spaces for the yoga practice were created to enhance energetic flow. A unique rooftop yoga shala was specially built to serve this scope. It is a sacred area and represents the core of Upaya Yoga. The energy of our shala increases with each new group of students. Past yogis have also contributed to this magical space, bringing it to life and colour. We also welcome you to contribute in any way or form you desire.
- At Upaya we respect your privacy and value the need for silence. Our open-air communal area is designed to allow personal relaxation and comfort. A green and shady garden provided of swinging chairs, pillows, cushions, cosy dining area and the library will always make you feel at home.
Where We Are
- The location of Upaya is in itself magic and unique. We are located in between the river and the beach! Surrounded by lush coconut trees, during the early morning and sunset classes, your senses will benefit from the beauty and energy of Nature, making your practice with us an unforgettable experience.
- Another reason for our perfect location is the surroundings of Arambol beach. At a walking distance, you will find a wide variety of shops, lively restaurants and bars, colourful Indian markets and atm. So either you decide to just relax on the beach or to stroll around you will certainly make the best of your free time here. A good balance between being an engaged yoga student and a curious visitor is guaranteed!
- Your constant safety is also one of our priorities. The entire area is under surveillance 24 hours through CCTV cameras and nocturne guardian. Yourself and your belongings will not incur any danger or risk.
What We Offer
- The Yoga Teacher Training Course is specially designed to build the confidence of teaching as soon as you leave. Even so, if to become a professional yoga teacher is not your plan, anyway, we aim to deliver a deep yoga approach and a strong practice. These will be inspiring resources in your everyday life. Either way you will find yourself positively transformed at the end of your stay.
- All our yoga teacher training are certified by the Yoga Alliance US and the Yoga Alliance UK which are both recognized worldwide. Therefore, the yoga teacher certification that you will gain in India will have international validity.
- Our goal is to bring you far beyond the physical practice of asana yoga by digging deep into Yogic and Indian philosophy. You will also develop practice in Pranayama (breathing), Mantra (chanting), Kriya (cleansing), Karma Yoga (selfless service) and Yoga Nidra (deep relaxation technique). Finally, learning of Anatomy and Ayurvedic medicine will provide you with a true understanding of why yoga is so important in daily life.
- Meditation also is a crucial activity at Upaya Yoga, and we love to guide you through it. Even so, be aware that one type of meditation cannot be suitable and enjoyable for everyone. Therefore, we offer a diverse range of meditative practices: some are active, and others are more still. We hope this will help to find out what style is more appropriate for your needs and personality.
- We also offer workshops in various asana practice including arm balancing, beck bending, twists. This is a precious occasion to overcome personal difficulties and to gain good tips.
- Joining our School, through one of our courses or retreats, you will have the possibility to experience and practice many different styles of yoga such as Hatha, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Yin, Nidra. Both courses and retreats offer yoga classes of a superior standard and care for the practitioner. Therefore, just choose the formula that fits you better right now in your life!
- We are what we eat, and we consider eating a sensory experience that can be a meditation in mindfulness. Super tasty and wholesome vegan and gluten-free meals will be prepared daily by our passionate cooks. We serve Saatvick (yogic) food during the entire week, except for the dinner on Saturday and the whole Sunday (days off). Breakfast, lunch and dinner are rich in choice and all are served as a buffet.
- The accommodation at Upaya is a truly magical living environment. To support your intense days, we offer all the luxuries you need for a blissful night rest. The rooms are provided with comfortable beds, mosquito nets, hot shower and a/c or fan. According to different budgets, our options contemplate authentic eco- huts, rooms and spectacular ocean view apartments.
Donation Fee And Quality Standard
The cost of our yoga teacher training courses and yoga retreats are affordable and cheaper than the average price in India. This choice comes from the overall vision of making of Upaya something else than another economic initiative which ends up commercialising the ancient knowledge and science of yoga. This school is meant to be a place open to any person who wants to experience the simultaneous growth of body, mind and soul.
To support and guide our students through this growth is an act of love and respect for the uniqueness of any human being. This is a gift which we aim to share with as many people as possible and, by doing so, we do not sacrifice quality on any of the services that we offer. Our team, entirely inspired by this ethics, works harmoniously together to guarantee the best value to everyone. Have a wonderful stay at Upaya!
Why Upaya Yoga?
- Very experienced teachers
- Yoga Alliance Certificate (USA)
- Teacher Training Manual
- Two beautiful locations, Goa and Rishikesh
- Goa Accommodation – choose between unique ECO Hut, A/C Room, Non AC Room, Shared/Single Room
- Great location on the beach
- Rishikesh Accommodation – A/C Eco Huts
- Great location by the river and surrounded by mountains
- Single occupancy available during the Yoga Teacher Training Course with hot and cold shower facility
- Night security
- Yoga Shala has beautiful views of the sea, river and surrounding hills
- Three vegetarian meals and 2 tea breaks every day (Sunday lunch and dinner not included)
- Drinking water free of cost
- 24 hrs Wifi
- Two T-Shirts
- Lifetime membership
- Option to learn and teach with us in the internship program
- Opportunity to teach in our school’s branches after graduation
- Opportunity to start our chapters in your country as Upaya’s Franchisee.
What will you learn in this training:
- How to give a solid and clear demonstration
- How to give clear instruction (working with Voice)
- Proper alignment of postures
- Yoga anatomy
- Hands-on adjustment
- How to avoid common injury during practice
- How to jump backward and forward (vinyasa flow)
- How to use props for better postures (as recommended by B.S.K Iyengar)
- Mantra Chanting
- Yogic breathing (Pranayama) and their benefits
- Yogic body cleansing (Kriya yoga)
- Mudras and their benefits
- Yoga philosophy (Patanjali yoga sutra)
- Ayurveda and Yoga principle
- Assisting yoga class with other teacher
- How to teach 45 min to 90 min long class
- How to teach one to one class
- How to teach more than 10 people in a class
- Yoga career and business